Are you inspired by Open Source and an agile work environment?
We are looking for experienced engineers, who will contribute to building a new breed of database: a distributed SQL data store, aimed at Big Data, that is massively scalable and dead simple to use.
Our company was built in 2013 with the vision of developing a database which is great for users, developers and, most importantly, for back-end services that truly scale. Traditional databases don’t offer this; we’re building the solution!
As a software engineer at Crate.IO you will work in small, agile teams and directly impact the future of the product. Our engineers need to be versatile and always eager to tackle new problems as we continue to push technology forward. We love what we do and are total geeks at heart. Our teams enjoy a great deal of freedom and love to take responsibility for the things they create, which is also supported by our company-wide use of Scrum. That is what we expect from you because, honestly, we hate micromanagement.
If this sounds like the work environment you want to work in we’d love to hear from you!
What to expect on a typical day
- Integration of Crate database into other systems: orchestration frameworks (Mesos, Docker Swarm etc), operating systems (RHEL/CentOS, Ubuntu...) and cloud providers (AWS, Azure...)
- Make sure that Crate works well and smoothly with 3rd party tools: Metabase, ZoomData, Spark, Kakfa etc.
- Prepare technical documentations (tutorials etc.)
- Programming of additional components wherever required by the integration (e.g. Plugins)
- Maintenance and expansion of Client Libraries
- Technical support for customers and open source users
- Planning and development with your epic and supportive team members
How you will get things done
- We use scrum to push our product forward
- You think out of the box and are able to find new, creative and if need be, unconventional solutions
- You will fail, make mistakes, and start again - that’s ok. It’s called learning.
- You are an awesome team player
Skills & Requirements
- A minimum of 2 years of work experience as a developer
- Knowledge and practical experience with Java, Python
- Knowledge of SQL (application-oriented)
- Comfortable with the use of databases
- Fluent English
- Fun working on new and edgy stuff
- Problem solver at heart
Brownie Points For...
- A solid foundation in computer science
- Knowledge of other programming languages (e.g. Java Script)
- Knowledge of Unix (incl. Bash-Scripting)
- Knowledge of DevOps tooling (e.g. Jenkins, Salt, Vagrant)
- Knowledge of testing tools and processes (e.g. JUnit, Locust)
- Command of German
- Open Source contributions (please send us your Github Account details)
Our Recruitment Process
We promise not to waste your time and process your applications as fast as we can.
Here is how it works:
- After an initial filter of applications, successful candidates will be invited to a short call with Isabelle from the Berlin office to get to know each other better
- On successful completion, the next step is an extended video conference with the team leader
- After that follows a face-to-face meeting with the team at the closest office (Berlin or Dornbirn) including a test of your technical problem solving skills
- Final interview with one of the company founders
- You’ll get an amazing job offer :)
Does this sound like your new job? Then please send us your application (CV, Github Account and short cover letter or email explaining the reasons for your interest) including your earliest starting date to firstname.lastname@example.org!